When searching for books to read in Hastings on Thursday night I internally revisited my most academic abhoration....banned books. I despise them.
Why, for goodness sake, would any school ban a book? Books are amazing. They have the ability to send one into an imaginative world that is new and exciting.
My favorite book? Catcher in the Rye. Oh, how I love it.
Simple minded adminstrators dislike this book because of the language. Seriously? This is what the whole book is about! Holden Caufield loathed "phonies," this book was the basis for John Lennon's death.
Lennon wrote about revolution and change while living in the Dakota Apartments, some of the most expensive, in New York City. Don't get me wrong, I love his music, but he was a phony.
In conclusion, all you high school teachers out there, fight the power. Teach a banned book. The administration will get over it don't you think? Maybe not.
If a book is banned, the students will never know the real value of it.
Don't be a phony.
Tuesday Ten
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment